Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Kathy's Back (no pun intended!)

Hi everyone... I really got into the blogging and then I disappeared and let Jeff take over. Let me explain... For about three weeks, I was experiencing a LOT of pain. It started with my right calf muscle. I started jogging at the beginning of October, and I had worked myself up to 5km jogs about 3-4 times a week... YES, you are reading that correctly.

So the pain started. Felt like a pulled muscle, but a little weird, because it ran up my leg at the immediate left of my shin. Not your usual calf muscle pain. I gave myself a couple of days off and ran again. Worse pain. I took two weeks off, and the pain never went away. You have no idea how frustrating it is to give up jogging when you have finally achieved some success and are up to 5km.

Even worse, the pain traveled up my leg to my lower back. And stayed there. Some days my leg was totally numb, and other days I felt like all the muscles in my body were out of whack. But mostly I felt really tired and really annoyed.

I spent all of the past weekend in pain and with no energy. All I wanted to do was sleep. Finally, I contacted Ayako Sunday night, thinking she could maybe get me to a doctor on Monday. Well, she took me to a friend's brother that night, at 9pm to get a massage. It turns out he isn't really a masseuse. He practices alternative medicine. He referred to it as "healing touch." It was bizarre, but he literally just touched me lightly... I wouldn't calling it massaging. At the time, I thought, what the heck. I just wanted SOMETHING done. I was in so much pain.

Well, I felt better the next day, and better the next, and today I feel terrific. The back pain was gone immediately, but the weakness is still there. The only pain I still have is in my right calf muscle. And it is much weaker than before. Most noticeable though, is my greatly increased energy. I feel positive again, and I'm not lethargic like I was. Am I a believer? I wouldn't say so. But I do have another appointment on Friday...

No comments: