Sunday, March 27, 2005

The second part of the adventure started once I got back to Kevin's. I waited for Kathy to call for a pick up at the train station. At 10:30 Kathy called and I headed out to Kumagaya to pick her up. I arrived at Kumagaya at about 11:20 and called her.


"Bad news", she said, "I took the wrong train and I'm not sure where I am. I'll call you right back". Three minutes went by. The phone rang, "I'm sorry honey, I'm in Oyama and the only trains at this time of night go the wrong way. I can't get home. I can't get to Kumagaya, and I can't even go back from where I came from". A couple of phone calls to the all knowing (but sometimes directionally challenged) Ayako, and I knew where my poor lost wife was.


From Ota, Kumagaya is 45 minutes directly south. Oyama (where Kathy ended up) was an hour drive directly east of Ota. The problem is, being Japan the roads don't go the way you want them to (never a direct path) and there are 10,467 stop lights between you and your destination. I drove back to Ota and then to Oyama and met my poor, lonely, lost, and exhausted wife outside the station at 1:15. We were blessed with mostly green lights on the way back and arrived home at 2:15am. What a nice romantic Sunday drive.

No comments: