Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Felling of Mrs. Wolf

I thought I'd let you have a laugh at my expense...
I was at Minami Sho this afternoon, the elementary school I visit once a week. After school, I have "English Club" with about 20 grade 3 students. I've been teaching them to tell time in English. Today we played "What time is it Mr. (in this case, Mrs.) Wolf?" To my dismay, I had forgotten about my plans for English club when choosing my shoes this morning. As a result, I was wearing an unfortunate pair of black heels. No matter how hard I tried, each time I cried, "It's dinner time!" I just could not catch a single one of those pesky grade threes. On my third time through it, I was determined. I bolted across the dry dirt and gravel (the Japanese alternative to the lush green grass of Canadian schoolyards). Suddenly, I had the unmistaken sensation of losing my footing. For about two seconds my mind was filled with ... "oh no...oh no...oh no..." And then the most spectacular thing happened. Just like Ichiro Suzuki, when catapulting towards home plate, I dove, hands outstretched, body skidding across the gravel and dirt, the crowd watching in awe, amazement, horror...

Surprisingly enough, the patch of dirt was not badly injured. And I too got up with just a few scratches. However, my clothing spoke of the terror it had just witnessed. I have never been so fully ensconced in dirt before. (Yes, I just used the word ensconced. I may teach "my favorite animal is dog," and "I like apple," but I will NOT let my personal command of English be maligned, damn it!)

The cutest part of course, was the great concern and care with which the grade threes dusted me off. One boy in particular, was so focused in his task of brushing off my pants, that he failed to notice all the interesting parts of me he was brushing. You gotta love their innocence at this age!

So...What became of Mrs. Wolf, you ask...

She requested a volunteer replacement wolf and subsequently tended to her bruised ego.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
You're a nerd hahaha

-Candice-