Monday, June 27, 2005

Can You Guess Today's Theme??

Hahahahaha. This is getting fun. I had already decided to blog about my experience today before I got home and read Jeff's entry...
So today I only had to teach 1st and 6th period. Sixth period, however, was on the 4th floor (Karen, doesn't that always remind you of Cheng Luo?). The steamy fourth floor. Students were already listlessly fanning themselves when Kamei sensei and I entered the classroom. About 5 minutes into class, the students closed all the windows. I looked at them and said, "WHY did you close the windows??" This popped out in English, but it was very clear that they understood. They mumbled something in Japanese that I didn't. So I looked at Kamei sensei..."WHY did they close the windows????" He explained that the trees were being sprayed with insecticide. As a result, we had to close the windows so that we wouldn't inhale the evil insecticide that would lead to our most certain deaths. (as opposed to, oh, say, heat exhaustion?)

I nodded. I understood. We proceeded. Slowly, painfully, with constant mutterings of "atsui, atsui" filling the air. (yes, that means HOT.) I actually started to chuckle to myself, as the sweat dripped down my back, down my front... from places sweat had never originated from before. Kamei sensei shook his head and said, "we must be at about 80 or 90% humidity now. And somehow, the next 40 minutes passed. I was actually worried there would be wet spots on my BUM, that's how bad it was!

The one bonus? Beer has never tasted so good before...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you can imagine how somebody with double dees feels.

Dad

epps_nihon_go said...

Dad?
.....um,.....
Speechless!!
-Your daughter

Anonymous said...

Karen's dad has been welding at John Deere in long leather sleeves in 44 degrees celcius this past week!
For me though, the hottest day I've experienced was back in the summer of '92. It was the hottest day of the summer, and broke many records. It was over 102 degrees fairenheit. I biked 3 kilometers to my friends house in the grueling sun at the hottest time of the day(early afternoon). When I arrived at the house and knocked, I was not greeted by an open door,though I was expected, but rather a pair of eyes peering through the shades. So I waited patiently, and then not so patiently as I looked over the fence into the backyard at my friend's pool. About five or ten very long minutes passed by, all the while sweat continually pouring down my face and into my eyes. Finally to my great delight, I turned around and saw my friend standing there, supersoaker in hand. It only took a split second of being sprayed to realize that the water coming out of the large water gun was scalding hot and burning me! I ran fast and hard and waited down the street in the blazing sun until I eventually coerced my friend into promising not to spray me. Finally, I got to swim in his pool and get a cold drink in his air conditioned house. And I appreciated those simple luxuries all the more. My friend told me later that upon my arrival, he set to work boiling water in the kettle.
I know this comes a week late, but if its still hot in Japan, be thankful you don't have any saddistic friends. Paul