Saturday, June 25, 2005

Planting rice! Grade six students planting rice "the old fashioned way". Every year the grade 4, 5, and 6 students from my Monday school head down about a block from the school to a small field (all the fields are small really) to plant rice. Yes - I got in too, and yes - I got dirty. One boy lost his balance and ended up siting down in the mud! The best part of the morning though, was a grade 4 girl who was planting beside me who got an ichy butt. Hands caked in mud, she looked at me, thought about it, and gave herself a good scratch - pink shorts and all! I laughed and she looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and said "shoganai" (Loosely translated - "Well, not much I can do about it!"). I'm sure her mom was really pleased when she got home that day. After planting they washed up and the grade six students got to go swimming. Not a bad morning!

1 comment:

jkirlin said...

Shoganai is my new life motto. You just introduced us to a 4th grade Zen Master. Scratch with abandon! :)