Friday, July 22, 2005

To Add to Jeff's Thoughts...

I must say that the most difficult aspect about the type of blog Jeff and I have created is that it's not 100% honest. Jeff and I have talked about this. It's like everyone back at home thinks we have this amazingly exciting life in Japan because we post some nice pics every week. As you may (or may not) have guessed, this is not always the case. Jeff relayed a small bit of our struggle this week. I would have to say it's been our worst experience here, and by far our worst clash in cultures. There are certain aspects of the Japanese culture that I simply CANNOT reconcile in my albeit rather flexible, Canadian brain. So there is a bit of honesty for you, sparing the gritty details. Our morales are low right now. Very, very low. Emails of encouragement and love would be greatly appreciated (might as well be blunt; it's a skill I've been practicing this week), as this is far from over. The weekend should give a bit of a reprieve, but next week will involve some heavy discussions and decision making.

1 comment:

medea said...

Everyone has ups and downs in their stay in Japan. The more time I spend here, the more I see the dirtier, uglier side of Japanese culture.
It's hard to reconcile what we are taught as Canadians about all cultures having value and not being judgmental with our experiences in Japan.
Since I have come to terms with the fact that my life in Japan is pretty well permanent, I feel less guilt about speaking out when things are bad here. After all, speaking out is the first step toward change, whether it happens in my lifetime or not.
Sorry for the sermonizing, I guess I just want to say what you are feeling is natural- and don't be afraid to share your honne!