Sunday, January 08, 2006

So You Wanna Hear About Taiwan??

I'm so wired. So very wired. I slept till 1:30 today. Then, after reading, I fell asleep for another hour. It's 12:30 now, and I'm nowhere near ready for sleeping. Thank goodness it's another long weekend, and tomorrow is off! YAY! One of the benefits of life in Japan: many long weekends!

I have so much to say about Taiwan. It was an absolutely amazing trip. One of our best. And, lucky for you, Jeff has found a way to resize his HUMUNGOUS photos so that they are more friendly to you and your weary computers!

Let's begin with... Our Hosts... Many of you know Rita, farthest on the right. Her and her sister Vivian are studying in Canada. I met Rita when she studied English in the IELP. We quickly became very good friends. Last winter Rita said, "Hey, if you and Jeff stay in Japan another year, you should stay with my family in Taiwan next Christmas." Okay!

Rita's family lives in the city Taoyuan, which is very close to Taipei. Her family was extremely kind and generous to us, and we want to say a huge THANK YOU!!! again. They really treated us like family. It was a wonderful time, and it was hard to say good-bye.

In addition to Rita's family were her dogs. And well, I think you should meet some of them too. Presently, Rita's family owns five dogs and six puppies!!! WOW! But I think all of the puppies are to be given away. They were born about two weeks before we came.

This is Michael, a very friendly and very submissive Golden Retriever. He's the father of the puppies.

And this is the biggest of the puppies. Couldn't you just eat her up??? Oh man!!! One morning, Rita's mom brought the puppies in and bathed them and then let them sleep in the house till they dried. I held this one for awhile and then, when she started complaining, placed her in a box with another sleeping puppy. She walked around the box, complaining the whole time, crawled onto the poor sleeping puppy, and then pooped all over him! Rita picked her up and told her off. Apparently, she had pooped all over Rita earlier that morning!

And here I am, with the same puppy, after having been licked by her. Oh! I had forgotten how bad puppy breath smells!!

No comments: