Monday, May 22, 2006

Back in Canada

Hi everyone! It's been a week. A full week. We are back. We are safe.

In one week, we've managed to accomplish a lot. We bought a car, we both bought cell phones (they suck SO BAD compared to Japanese cell phones), we moved into our apartment for the summer, changed over our yennies, and even managed to celebrate my mother's birthday yesterday!

How are we? Hmmm... Well, we've always liked "newness", and starting over fresh, so I guess in a way we're enjoying the excitement of that. And of course it's wonderful to catch up with family and friends, and enjoy their extended presence again.

But something's not quite right.

I know that we're not quite okay when I get so angry at my useless Canadian cell phone that I want to smash it to pieces... when my most exciting moment of the day occurs when I find sushi rice at the local Asian food mart... when I sigh softly at the mention of places like AEON, SaveOn, Joyful Honda, or products like Pocky, Kirin, dashi...when I long to take a walk past Daidai and down amongst the rice fields again...

We're okay.

But keep in touch, okay? Don't stop your friendly little emails. We need our friends in Japan just as much as we need them in Canada. (oh, and we like our American friends, too...Kirlin)! And keep reading the blog. We still have to finish our travel journal...there's about one more week of that left, and it's the most exciting one, cause Joanne joined us! And then our blog will gradually shift to our new Canadian lives. So don't go away, please...

11 comments:

ブライアン・ベルダニエル said...

最後のお別れ会には参加ができなくてとっても残念でしたが、いつもブログを読んだりしているのでこれからも是非よろしくお願いします!カナダでも頑張って下さい!

Karen & Josh said...

Hey!! Welcome home!!! So glad to have you back!!!

Joanne said...

Good to hear you are settling in. And don't worry I'll be checking the blog regularly as always. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures in Canada. And hey anything you can't find in the Asian food market (like Star chips, Jeff) - I'd be glad to send you a car package. Love you!

Joanne said...

and yes car package.

James said...

Easy on the cell phone. It never did anything to deserve such treatment. It's only trying to help.

Poor phone.

Anonymous said...

So you guys have made it back to Niagara! Can't wait to see you both.
Call us so we can make a date!
Caroline and Abel

mariaborito said...

hello?

JD said...

Hey Guys!

Just checking in after being busy for the last couple of months. Happy to hear of your return but I just missed you all.... I finally got a job in asia (korea) and flew over last week. We probably passed each other over the pacific...sigh... Well, I'm going on to my first contract school for the Ministry of Ed. tomorrow and then over to Nagoya in 2 weeks for a visit. Its a shame I never got to meet up with both since I feel as if I know you both through your blog. Your example is what gave me the courage to move on with my life and go out and see whats around the bend. Thanks, and go with God. JD

jkirlin said...

I'll keep checking in because Canada has scaffolding. :)

Anonymous said...

Found your blog quite by accident - enjoyed reading about your adventures. We were teachers for Fifth Wings in 2003-2004 in Tatebayashi/Oizumi/Hanyu. It was hard going at times but a great experience overall. We used to have your little silver Daihatsu - amazed you drove it all over Japan!

Craig and Madeleine

Anonymous said...

So, you tell us to keep checking the blog, but then you don't post anything...well, I guess seeing you live and in the flesh, and hearing the stories straight from the horse's mouth will have to be good enough...he he he...

ROSE