Thursday, September 14, 2006

DISorientation!

So I've almost made it through my first full week back to teaching. Wow. What a mess. I mean, it's mostly been a good mess, but what a mess.

After over three months of generally lying around, I've HURLED myself back into the workplace. This is an amazingly welcome change. I am a teacher. I love teaching, and after a summer of nothingness, I was starting to question my existence. It's amazing to be in a multicultural ESL environment again... to be challenged and stimulated again.

That being said, I'm already starting to second guess the path I've set myself on for the term. I landed a 15 hour a week contract at Niagara College. I had hoped for the max of 20, but thems the breaks. Not one to be deterred, I kept up my contacts at Mohawk College, and was rewarded with a lucky phone call last Friday (coincidentally, also my birthday). Elizabeth called desperate for teachers. I offered her the only time I had left, Monday and Tuesday afternoons. And I found myself accepting 8 hours more of teaching work. This brings my total to 23 hours of teaching per week (ya, kept my math skills), with a WHOPPING 8 contact hours on Tuesdays.

EEGAD! What am I doing????

So after my Niagara classes finished on Monday, I hit the road to Mohawk, where I was WHIPPED through a quick tour of the office, the classrooms, and the school in general. I received some textbooks and was on my way...didn't even get the class list till I walked into the classroom on Tuesday. Nothing like teaching on the fly.

So now not only am I still trying to learn the system at Niagara (still don't have a computer password, but I found the stash of free binders yesterday!) but I've thrown myself into a new system at Mohawk as well! Complete with parking hassles, lengthy union explanations, and not-yet-clear contracts.

I have to say though that I LOVE the two contrasting environments. Niagara is more what I'm used to from Brock: an academic prep program with its share of spoiled 18-year old machismo Latinos (sigh) and Asian students who've picked "Rookie" as their English names (double sigh). Mohawk, on the other hand, is much more multicultural and has many immigrant students as well as students of a variety of ages and socioeconomic backgrounds. It's a very exciting environment.

But from now on, it's delivery pizza on Tuesday nights!

No comments: