Sunday, July 15, 2007

Day 16... and counting...

Since June 30th, Jeff has been renovating the house. A much needed renovation, for energy/safety reasons, and a very extensive renovation. The most exciting day was the first day, when a bunch of guys came over and helped Jeff totally demolish what was once our living room and hallway...all the way upstairs. I watched through the thick plastic that sealed off the kitchen from the rest of the house. The plaster dust was really thick and gross.

Since that day, we've fallen into a routine, of sorts. At first we were sleeping in my friend Rita's third-floor apartment. It was very convenient, as it's so close by, but we moved at the beginning of last week. We simply could not stand the heat and humidity anymore. From that point on, we've been living at my sister's. A longer drive, for sure, but full of luxury... air conditioning, for one. And of course, the pool and hot tub at our disposal. Every day is kind of the same. Jeff gets up and goes to the house by 7:30. I sleep a little longer, and then get up and go to work. After work I get to the house, to the sacred, sealed off kitchen, where I make us dinner and do other "kitcheny" things. Shortly after dinner, I go to Dagmar and Dave's, and Jeff follows sometime later.

Throughout this experience, I've realized that I have a strong dislike of this whole process. Which is too bad, really, cause Jeff is really good at it and seems to really enjoy it. I don't like being confined to the kitchen... I'm not exactly a "domestic goddess." I don't like how the house and talk of the house consumes most of our waking hours, and I don't like feeling so completely bored and useless. What with the pregnancy and all, I'm not really supposed to do much of this kind of thing. But next week, when I'm all done work for the summer, and we're getting close to the end of this, you can be sure that I'll find a way to get in there.

And then, when it's all done, and we're moved back in, we're gonna spend a weekend doing what I like best. Road trip!!!!!

This is what is left of the "bathroom" that was once hidden under the stairs. Good riddens! The stink under the stairs is finally gone. Now if only the mysterious stink in the kitchen cupboard would go away...

And this is what was, and will one day again be, our living room. Yes, plywood for a window.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to all the renovation stuff...even if not pregnant, it is still not fun...you can always come here for a visit, its less dusty...for now...

Beth

lovetolaugh said...

Lovin' the picture with a lack of colour! Can't wait till it's done!!!Thought of you this week while away..hope you're well and enjoying the air conditioning...

Can't wait to show you some photo's!