Wednesday, August 01, 2007

All Moved Back In!

As of Sunday, we are all moved back in to our house. It was a whirlwind of a weekend. Jeff's frustration levels were reaching an all-time high as him and his dad just couldn't seem to proceed fast enough with the electrical. All the drywall was done and taped and mudded by Friday at noon, and Jeff had managed to prime and lightly sand all the walls. But in order for us to move back in (with our homestay, Keiko), we really needed to have some power and lights. Hmmm... problem.

I was also reaching the end of my tolerance, as I wasn't seeing Jeff a lot, and when we were together, well, let's just say it wasn't exactly quality time. Also, on Saturday I woke up with a nasty head cold...gotta love summer colds... so I was really NOT a happy camper.

But Sunday was d-day, and so, like it or not (Jeff), we were moving back in. Jeff and his dad were already there, working on electrical in the morning. And so Keiko and I piled into Dagmar and Dave's car... (did I mention that on Friday our car broke down? Clutch completely shot? Over $1000 later...? Do these things ever happen at a good time?) and by 11:00am, it was the great invasion.

Now on Sunday, I was pretty much dead to the world. My cold had kept me up most of the night, and all I wanted was the sleep that kept eluding me. The thought of another frustrating day in the house, spent cleaning and trying to make it live-able was not very, er, appealing.

Lucky for us, and much unbeknownst to us (love that word!) Superman Dave and Wonderwoman Dagmar were ready to spring into action. One little known fact is that Dave was an electrician in a previous life, and on that particular Sunday, Dave decided to grace our house with his toolbelt. Shortly after we arrived, Dagmar, Keiko, and I went grocery shopping, and by the time we had gotten back, all the outlets in the living room/hallway were working. And by 4:30 pm, we had lights, we had power... EVERYWHERE! It was an amazing sight to behold...how it all came together.

Meanwhile, Wonderwoman Dagmar decided to tackle the putting back together of our house, a thought that completely overwhelmed and frightened Sick Kathy. By the end of the day, all the furniture was back in our living room, CLEAN. Every knick-knack in the china cabinet had been washed (I haven't seen it that clean since before we left for Japan!), the kitchen was tidied, our bedroom was respectable; she even started putting the books back into the bookshelves in the office! Keiko was her trusty helper, and I, well, I did what I could.

So, thanks to the long, hard efforts of Jeff and his dad (and numerous people along the way), and thanks to the speedy efforts of Dagmar and Dave on Sunday, we're back in and mostly comfortable. Mind you, under the stairs it still looks like this. And there's still plywood on one window (window arrives Friday). But who cares!? We're mostly dust-free, and our bed has never felt more comfortable. And startled Keiko got to watch a wonderful clip of Do-It-Yourself Canadian culture, all within her first week of being here.

It's good to be home.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! Crazy story, but the house looks great! Glad you can resume a little more normalcy!

lovetolaugh said...

Awwwww!!!! Had I known. Man I also soo glad it's done.. And it looks FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done Jeffy!! I am excited to see it up close and personal!!

Miss you's!!!

Rosilee said...

Oh my gosh! Looks amazing. You poor crazy people. And with a pregnant woman in the house nonetheless! Amazing.

lovetolaugh said...

Did I mention what a difference the white makes>...it looks like a totally different room!! Been thinking about that all day, and thought I should tell you!!