Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Musical Memories

 


Our friend Joanne is home from Japan. Home after 4 years in Tokyo. When I read one of her last in-Japan postings, I felt my heart squeeze. Yes, it did actually squeeze. She expressed herself so well, and made me remember the heartache of leaving a place, albeit a quirky one, that you have come to call home. I wish the best for her as she re-adjusts to life in Canada. God knows I wouldn't want to have to repeat that first year back!

On February 19th, Jeff and I went out to a restaurant for the first time with Kaiya. We went to Real Sushi, a surprisingly good sushi restaurant considering it's nowhere near an ocean. I highly recommend it, and if you're a first-timer, and a bit nervous about the whole thing, call us! We'd gladly come with you and help you order (and help you eat whatever you can't stomach). Oh, and don't worry... there are plenty of non-raw fish items to choose from too. And it's all you can eat. So you really can't go wrong!

Anyhow, I digress...

So, while we were in the restaurant, I had some funny, as in funny-peculiar, emotional reactions. Not entirely surprising, what with being a new mom and still dealing with strange hormonal imbalances. SO... the first reaction happened as I listened to the Chinese music being pumped through the restaurant. It was cheezy Chinese pop, and I was suddenly transported back to our karaoke experience in Taiwan with Rita and her sister and some of their friends on New Year's Eve, 2005. It wasn't really a thought-out memory. More like just a visual flash, followed by an immense sense of longing. I miss you, Rita.

Then, later, the restaurant switched from Chinese pop to American pop, and we found ourselves listening to "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. Hardly music to get misty-eyed to. But I did, as I remembered Mikiko and I belting it out along with Fergie as Jeff drove us through the mountains of Japan. And as I remembered Joanne's intense dislike of the song and of my incessant need to listen to the Peas! And so I missed Mikiko and Joanne and our travels along the hairpin turns of the Japanese mountains.

It's funny how music has so many strong emotional associations. At least it does for me. A song can take me back in an instance to a time and a place buried deep within.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

lovetolaugh said...

I would LOVE to go with you! I can't find enough!!