Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Glass That Halted Christmas

My mom always asks me in November or early December what I want for Christmas. This year I was at a total loss. After some thought, I came up with the idea of red wine glasses. I grew up on red wine, and after a white phase that lasted a few years, I'm back onto my reds. My favourites are Trius Merlot and the Merlot by Yellow Tail. My "frugal favourite" (ie. the one that I almost always drink) is Cono Sur, a Chilean Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend. Let me know if you have any other favourites. I'm always open to suggestions!

Anyhow, as one of our many wedding gifts, over 11 years ago, we received a set of wine glasses. Nice glasses, yes, but a little skimpy on size, particularly for reds. I had seen some nice big glasses over the past year, and decided it was my turn to get me some.

A sample of our first, rather modestly-sized wine glasses...
















When I opened up a very large box on Christmas Eve at my parents' house, I was not thinking wine glasses. The box was simply too large. Especially for only six glasses. But as I opened the box, I saw that they were indeed wine glasses. Six red wine glasses. Six gargantuantly-sized red wine glasses. Shock and awe were felt all around the living room.

Witness the shock and awe:
Go ahead. Click on the picture. I know you want to.











And more shock and awe being interrupted by uproarious laughter:
(Dagmar and I should be on TV, don't you think? We're so dramatic. ;) )


On second glace, I just noticed that the glass is the size of Dagmar's head!






Anyways... the glasses literally stopped the show. The gift-giving, if but for a minute, came to a crashing halt. I believe my first comment was: "I didn't mean that I wanted to be able to pour a whole BOTTLE into one of them!!!"

Now, you may be thinking: Oh poor, uneducated Kathy. Don't you know that red wine glasses are supposed to be large for _________________ (insert reasons here. I haven't got a clue. I just like how they looked, and the fact that if one night I wanted to, I could get totally smashed off of only one glass.)

In response to your wine snobbery, I will simply appeal to my lowly standard of comparison. Remember the "modestly-sized" wine glass above? Well, check it out in comparison to the new bigger brother:

!!


Ya, it'll take me a while to get used to these new babies. But I think I'm up to the challenge! :)

Happy New Year's everyone!

4 comments:

Mama B. said...

Oooh, the next mom's night is going to be FUN! LOL

Suzanne said...

Those pictures are hilarious! That is a gigantic wine glass. Brent still doesn't believe that they are that big; he pulled the, "they are suppose to be that big. It's for red wine". I don't know what kind of red wine glass he has used, but that is the biggest glass I've ever seen.
Great post.

Javiera said...

they are for Red wine... why?? simple... because you can drink more in just one glass !! hahaah...
no I'm joking... is because you can smell, see the color and legs of the wine...
today I drunk Cono Sur.. but I like Casillero del Diablo..I think I know a little bit of Chilean Wine haha...
my dear Kathy... I had fun with your blog

PS: I want to see you...I want sushi :D haha.. !!

James said...

Rose and I went on our first wine tasting recently (I did all the drinking while Rose spat her wine and drove). The highlight of the tour was a red from Southbrook, a 2003 Cabernet blend. Check it out, only $15 a bottle and should be worth $50. Not available a the LCBO - I think you have to make the treck to the winery itself if you want some.