Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's Saturday Night

January has been kind to us. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a fan of winter, but January this year has strangely been more than bearable. My health finally returned to me on Saturday, January 9th. And I'm not kidding. It was that dramatic. From the end of November I had struggled with extreme tiredness and then a horrible pattern of cold-coldsore-cold-coldsore. At one point, I had four coldsores on my face...right over Christmas! Not exactly an opportune time for placing a paper bag over your head.

But on January 9th, it was like a switch went off. I suddenly and quite dramatically felt back to normal. MORE than back to normal. Since that time, I have had energy and awareness that I don't think I've felt quite possibly since sometime before Kaiya was born! I remember that on the 9th we spent around 4 hours tromping through Ikea, and I wasn't tired at the end. In fact, we had friends over that night, and then Jeff and I played tennis on the Wii after they left till around 1 in the morning. And I still wasn't tired! I really thank God every day for this blessing of health and strength. I was afraid the sickness cycle would carry on all winter.

January has also brought changes to my work, as each new semester does. I'm finding myself with an even easier teaching load than I had last semester, meaning that my evenings are pretty much always completely free. But it's the mornings that have been the most special, as I almost never have to get into work till 11:00 or so. This means that Kaiya and I always have long, lazy stretched-out mornings together, eating oats, drinking milk and tea, reading books and playing with balloons (she's still obsessed with them!) Not being much of a morning person, I really appreciate these slow starts to the day. And we're always all home by 5. It is simply a perfect schedule for me, the perfect balance of me-time and us-time, of work time and play time.

Most weeknights are spent quietly, reading, knitting (more on that later), possibly planning a class, or catching up with someone on the phone. The way I see it, the only thing missing this winter is a fireplace! I've been reading a book on Sabbath rest, and I feel like this has been a bit of a Sabbath time for me. More time to rest, think, meditate, and pray. I've been more aware than usual of the people around me and their significance in my life. It's been good.

I'm very thankful for my health and for the quiet. I certainly could use a little more motivation to get my butt moving somedays... to wash up after dinner, mark assignments, sheesh! - even write a blog post! For the first time in a long time (in my life?), the rocking chair is winning over the endless puttering. What a good way to spend the winter.

I hope all of you can experience a taste of the rest and peace that has come my way this January.

5 comments:

James said...

So glad to hear this Kathy. Hope it continues through into February. Spring isn't that far away! Keep playing that tennis to ward off the cabin fever!

Suzanne said...

This blog entry warms me on the inside. I'm so happy to read this Kath.

Erika said...

you know we're on your side so this is good news for all of us. nice to be together on sunday.

mariaborito said...

A good settled feeling to this. What a great post! Thanks for sharing:)

Larissa said...

ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto!