Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A little serendipity

I bumped into a friend at Brock yesterday. Someone I've been meaning to get together with all fall, but time has somehow slipped through both of our hands, with semesters busier than either of us expected.

We chatted a bit at the Starbucks, me with my notebook open, pen in hand, and her standing, shifting her weight back and forth, leg to leg. A testimony of how busy both of us were feeling. Drained and multi-tasked to the core.

We were discussing future plans and hopes. I made a comment about our lives not working out to the "perfection" we had hoped for. Not exactly as we had planned.

She paused and looked at me with a look I know well. A look that she may not realize is classic HER. A thoughtful pause, combined with a slight pursing of the lips, shake of the fringe, eyes glancing up.

"Pff... What is perfection, really? I've come to realize perfection is having family, a roof over your head, enough money to pay the bills." And then she made some funny comment about being a grad student and having to find some satisfaction somewhere. :)

I felt something jump inside me, and I said, "YES! That's exactly it!" And it was a funny moment for me. Where I knew that I had met with something that resonated deep within. Admittedly, you kind of had to be there. It was something in the way she said it. I knew she wasn't coming at me with an agenda; she was simply communicating the conclusions she had come to, through whatever life circumstances had brought her there. Her honesty spoke volumes to me.

Life's had its shares of disappointments this year, but we remain thankful, probably more than ever, for what we have. I'm happier than ever for we three who reside in the rickety little house on George Street. I look around and I see the love, the anticipation, the excitement for the future. Letting go and opening up have somehow come together, intermingling in my morning mug of tea, and I have felt the healing deep inside.

And I'm thankful.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Kathy, you make me smile and cry at the same time. So good to read this. How can something so simple be so meaningful? I guess that's the way it should be...

Suzanne said...

Yes, I agree with Rose. This is such a wonderful post to start my day with. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful in everything, no matter what life circumstance you find yourself in. Thanks Kath for being so willing to share.