Monday, December 13, 2010

This is what happens...

...when you try to do a cool snowman craft with a 2-year old:


Meet "Scary Monster Snowman."

This is what happened.

I got a neat-o idea: let's make some fun winter/Christmas crafts with Kaiya. I looked online, chose a few favourites, bought the supplies, took a deep breath and dove in.

Step 1 involved painting the balls white and rolling them in glitter. I thought Kaiya would LOVE this. She loves painting and usually begs me to do so as soon as she sees the little foam brushes.

She lasted one styrofoam ball. So as she ran around the house, acting up and demanding my attention in various other ways, I was left to hurriedly paint and glitter the snowmen.

After letting them dry (and taking a nap), it was time for Step 2: decorate the snowmen. Kaiya glued on the eyes and nose, but then lost interest. I thought we were done for again, until she found the toothpicks I had used to stick the snowmen together. A mom of an almost-3-year old will take her 5 minutes of peace and quiet however she can get them, and that, my friends, is how we ended up with "Scary Monster Snowman."

But she really loves him. She even added his third arm, or, um, leg?

Here's my much more subdued and boring version of Mr. Snowman:



And here they are, united at last, having a little Snowman dance party:



Peace and blessings to you this season, however they may come your way!

2 comments:

Larissa said...

No wonder you're Kaiya's favourite mommy in her whole family!
Merry Christmas, friend!

Suzanne said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I love how colourful those pictures are. I feel like you need to blow the one of Scary Monster Snowman up and have it as a Christmas picture that you put up in her wall for years to come. So classic. I love it.