Wednesday, June 08, 2011

It's Summer

Do you feel it? The hot, sticky air that dampens your skin and makes you want to dash to the 7-11 to buy a box of freezies. Do you smell it? The fresh-cut grass, the flowers in bloom, the sweetness of ice cream, the scent of BBQs and bonfires. Do you taste it? Hamburgers, summer salads, roasted marshmallows, and my latest summer favourite... a bottle of sparkling Pinot Grigio.

It's summer.

All around us is the green, green, green of a good Canadian summer. Kaiya and I went to the park down the street today. As I lay back on a towel, I smiled at her squeals and screams. I LOVE that my daughter is the one who thinks a splash pad is the COOLEST invention on earth. While the other kids quietly run and play, she's the one running in circles, squealing through fountains, screaming as buckets of icy cold water dump on her head. Splashpads. Guaranteed long afternoon naps. Bliss.

Life is incredibly rich right now. The waiting game is ending, my friends. A number of little things came together last week to finally make me mentally, internally flip the page. The new chapter is beginning. I still alternate wildly between excitement and anticipation over the adventure coming our way, and digging my claws back into Canadian soil, terrified of the change and the letting go. On tough days I think, "What are we doing? We're crazy to leave." And on good days I think, "Yes, we are crazy. Bring on the crazy. And bring on our next adventure!"

Time is short. So let's get to the point today: some fabulous pictures.

We love Uncle Dave. And we love that a trip to "Auntie's" house now means a trip of adventure and exploration. There are trees to climb:



Clearly, Uncle Dave does a better job than I do:



There are toads to squeal at, and other interesting bugs to find and touch:

(She carried that ridiculous farting gnome around the whole yard with her. Yes, a motion-sensing farting gnome. Seriously.)

There are trampolines to jump on...



...and an older cousin to admire:



There are fires to build (and newspapers to hide behind)...



...and giant marshmallows to roast...



...and enjoy:



We also love neighbour Bryan and neighbour Sarah. Because when we visit them, mommy can enjoy a glass of bubbly with Sarah...



...while Kaiya gets to act crazy with Bryan...



...and point out airplanes...



...and stand holding a glass on her head while Bryan aims the Nerf gun right at it:

(Who knew that was the secret to getting this kid to stay still??!!)

And we love Maelle...



...because there's just so much to love!



And because being with Maelle shows us what being a big sister would look like. Beautiful.



We are inhaling deep breaths of all this love and friendship. Deep breaths because we know that in just two short months, we will be experiencing solitude, and loneliness, like we haven't in some time.

There will be a lot more of this:



So in the meantime, we enjoy this...



...and this:



Not forgetting for a second how rich we really are. And thanking God we'll get six weeks of this every year.

Happy summer to you!

3 comments:

jeff said...

maybe it's weird for me to comment, but i really like this post. it gives a pretty good view of life right now - and what is hard to leave behind.

Rose said...

Oh, those ones of Kaiya and Maelle are beautiful! Yes, a great post Kathy. Sure, why don't you make me start crying now - it will continue until a good week or so after you leave...

Suzanne said...

Ditto to both comments. I feel a strange lump in my throat and a warm joy in my heart. Kathy, I'm ready to enjoy the summer with you. Let's make it one to remember!