Monday, August 22, 2011

Iftar

Saturday night, QAK (Jeff's employer) took us all out to the Four Seasons Hotel (swanky!) for Iftar. According to Wikipedia, the source of all knowledge, ;) ...

Iftar (Arabic: إفطار‎), refers to the evening meal when Muslims break their fast during the Islamic month of Ramadan. Iftar is one of the religious observances of Ramadan and is often done as a community, with people gathering to break their fast together. Iftar is done right after Maghrib (sunset) time. Traditionally, a date is the first thing to be consumed when the fast is broken.


It was definitely a feast:



Even if for some, that feast only included spaghetti and chocolate ice cream with chocolate sauce:



The view from above: (That's Tracie way over on the left)



And just one more...



It was a pretty amazing feast. Admittedly, I woke up at 2:30am that day, and I was slightly distracted by the antics of my little girl, so some (much?) of the extravagance was simply lost on me. But I'm sure it was beautiful. ;)

Jeff was being very careful about not including people in the photos, at the request of the Four Seasons staff. Everything in this country is a little more conservative than usual right now because of Ramadan, and we are very green here, so we're doing our best to be ultra-respectful. But I promise that will loosen. In fact, it already has. Jeff had a wonderful first day at work yesterday, where his Qatari employers explained a lot of customs and "rules" and helped relax everyone a lot. More on that later. I promise. I just have to get a shower in before my monkey girl wakes up!

What we really want to do (and I know you want too), is to blog a little more about the day-to-day, complete with pictures of the villa, and US! We are working on it. Timing is tricky, because during the day Jeff is at work and I'm entertaining K-bear, and then in the evenings we're taken out by QAK, and then at night we mostly just collapse into bed. The villa is NOT FIT for taking pictures right now... toys everywhere, shoes everywhere, Qatari sand and dust accumulating, items that have not found their homes... oh my!! It's a bit of a (fun) disaster here right now. But I'll still aim for the goal, I will.

Off to shower!

4 comments:

lovetolaugh said...

You're on a role :)

It's great that you're being treated well, welcomed, and educated on the customs.

gypsy said...

The roll is just beginning, my dear friend, just beginning!

James said...

Interesting Freudian Slip there Robyn...

Loving the frequent updates. It seems like you've been there for weeks already ("during the day Jeff is at work and I'm entertaining K-bear..."). That was based on one or two days at that point, wasn't it? Is this amazing adaptibility an illusion, or are you really that chameleon-like?

Rose said...

Really,none of us would mind pictures of the chaos as well!