Thursday, May 03, 2012

Delirious Doha Driving

I know I've been driving around the city a lot lately. Trying to furnish an entire villa in the space of one week will do that to a person. Thank God for the timing - my week off. I can't imagine the stress otherwise. There have been multiple trips to Home Centre, Homes R Us, and a one-hour long - I kid you not - scramble along construction-strewn Salwa Road with its long, endless roundabouts, looking for the low-priced, and in the end forgettable Pan Emirates outlet. 

I have seen more of Doha traffic in one week than I normally would care to see in a year. 

So when I came across the list Doha for the Expat, I couldn't help but get a little fixated on the driving-related items. So true, so true....

You know you're in Doha when...
  • You're not surprised to see a goat or Cheetah in the passenger seat.
  • You make left turns from the far right lane. (I have completely lost track of the number of times...)
  • You send friends a map instead of your address
  • You think it perfectly normal to have a picnic in the middle of a roundabout at 11pm. (a bit of a stretch, but I get it)
And the most pertinent:
  • You believe that the definition of a "nanosecond" is: the time interval between the light turning green and the guy behind you blowing his horn. (let's insert "or flashing his lights")
Ooooooooohhhhhh yessssssssssssssss....

And as for the Landcruiser that flew up behind me the other day, continually flashing his lights as soon as we were through the roundabout, I didn't move over for you, now did I? But I did speed up. That's right. So give me half a second next time. And in the mean time, you can just kiss my Pathfinder's you-know-what!

(I have to admit, there's a small ... not-so-small? part of me that actually finds driving here a tad... exhilarating... just a tad)

Landcruisers. We love 'em, we hate 'em.

Thankfully, the furniture shopping is, believe it or not, done! I actually finished it Tuesday morning. We have a one-stop shop left for appliances, and then the odds and the ends... light fixtures, curtains, that kind of thing. But we can take a little more time with those.

Moving date? Not quite sure. But I'd say sometime within the next two weeks. That's a good Doha timeline, don't you think?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I will second all those statements. I learned all these things in a short 10 days and it is crazy!

Kath, where are you storing all the furniture that you are buying? Is your Villa packed to the max? This move sounds very exciting! I wish I could come back and see you living in your new "home." I guess pictures will have to do. Keep'em comin!

gypsy said...

We are thankful for FREE home delivery for whatever date we choose. Our furniture will be delivered to the villa at the end of next week.