Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Random Ramblings

**Mostly written last week. You could say I've been distracted with getting ready to go to Canada.**

Ah, June. June in Qatar. Not the best of times, really.

I remember how desperate  I was last year to get out of the country. It was a mix of factors... horrible class, repressing heat, first trimester hormones, etc. etc. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the first day of summer holidays finally arrived.

This year ain't so bad. Mat leave has been good for my soul. But I do find I'm getting more antsy as the heat rises, and as my daily interactions continue to be mostly confined to gurgles and goos. The landscape has been pretty bleak these days, too. Dust and sand just seem to be clinging to the air, and everything is a dull gray. Outdoor activities are limited to swimming and evening walks (not so bad, really, but we miss the parks).

I've been feeling the tensions of the people around me. Living here, we really are left to the whims of our employers. Contracts for September have yet to be signed, and many details of contracts have yet to be given. Some friends who depend on their employers for housing are being moved, but they don't yet know when or where. Stressful when you're trying to make plans for the summer. And of course, it's report card season again. I thought we would be escaping that stress by leaving June 12th, but it turns out that is the date Jeff's marks are due. So I'll be seeing my husband again on June 28th. :)

I found out today at a school meeting that there are families who stay here over the summer. I know this, really I do. I mean, those of us in the field of education, with the freedom to leave all summer, are really in the minority. But -GASP- the thought of having to be here all summer and find ways to occupy the kids in 50 degree heat..... let's just say I'm so thankful we're able to get the heck out of dodge.

***

I'm embarrassed to say how much I've been frequenting the Tim Horton's at the new mall. It seems I like their coffee more than I remember. With the mall being literally a two-minute drive away, I find that even on days where nothing else happens, I still manage a quick stop at the Timmie's, where I smile and ask for my medium with two cream, no sugar. But I find the mall itself comforting. It's not fully functioning yet, with only half the stores open, which is kind of odd really. But it makes for a quiet, relaxed atmosphere. When Jeff saw it, he said it felt a bit lame, by Qatari standards. Nothing fancy, nothing over-the-top. A pretty basic design. And the other day, a friend mentioned that it felt very "North American." "People are walking around in t-shirts and flip flops!!" Yes, exactly why I like it. An unpretentious feeling of home. Jeff asked me the other day, "So how often do you think you'll go to Tim Horton's in Canada?" I answered, "Oh, probably only a couple of times." Funny, the things we hold on to when we're far away from home.

***

Mr. Akhtar let Kaiya take Terry the Tiger home the other day. Terry usually sits on Mr. Akhtar's desk. When I asked Kaiya if Terry could talk, she informed me that he only talks to Mr. Akhtar. But then she loudly proclaimed, "But he doesn't really talk, mom. It's just pretend!"

Terry had quite a good stay at our house. I don't think tigers usually eat rice, but he seemed to really enjoy ours.





We're getting ready to say goodbye to Mr. Akhtar. It's no fun doing this with a teacher who all the parents agree is "exceptional." How do you help your daughter with such a transition, especially when he is moving back to the UK? Geez. Sometimes I really need to take a deep breath and remember that she's only five. That so far, she has handled every transition in her little life far better than I have.

***

In less than 24 hours we'll be in the air! No wonder my thoughts are feeling so jumbled. See you on the other side...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So see you in few hours, good uncle Dave is picking you up, as always, and driving you to Babi and Dedo. Dagmar will be here to, can't wait.Love Mom