Thursday, June 27, 2013

We are enjoying...

Two weeks in and we are enjoying. Enjoying the relaxed, slow-me-down pace of Niagara. Of slow car trips without honking. No tailing, no passing on the right shoulder, or on on-ramps. My peripheral vision is getting lazy again. I bite my tongue when locals complain about the traffic. Well, all except for the annoying string of 4th Avenue lights.

We are enjoying the buzzing green. Green is all around us. Rolling hills in Pelham, the large "meadow" of my parents. And dripping rain. Rain with the promise of greener greens. We crank windows open, eagerly watching clouds roll in, waiting for the first drops to splatter against the screen.

We do not tire of rain.

We also do not tire of bacon.

We are enjoying a slow summer. The promise of eight more weeks of lazy mornings, special visits, meandering walks. The gift of an old two-wheeler promises new experiences and adventures as well. How will my daughters grow?

I was told this week that I paint a romantic picture of Qatar. And I thought, "Shhh!! Don't reveal my secret!" For my skill at romanticizing has become so honed that even in the midst of mind-numbing, child-screaming chaos, I see the romance. Let's call it embracing the moment. And let's remember: I'm not in the 50 degree summer, and I won't be here for the drawn-out, grey winter. Romanticizing is easy when life is already pretty darn good.

I am realizing the balance. For the sacrifices we make, we can enjoy better what we have. A carefree summer in our home country. Travel to places we never dreamed we'd see. Exposure to a huge blend of cultures. A fantastic international experience for our daughters. Rich, inspiring visits with friends from home. Life may sometimes be challenging, but it is certainly never dull. Our Qatari experience has so far been a steep learning curve, but surprise, surprise, our time in Canada has been unpeeling the layers and revealing to me that there are no regrets. I am glad for the path we are on.

And for now? I'll keep enjoying the sand-free air and the colourful landscapes. And I'll keep pouring on the blueberries and piling on the bacon. And enjoying the fact that the LCBO is a short walk away.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VIVA CANADA Mom