Friday, November 08, 2013

Contrasts and Contradictions

Ah, it's such a slippery slope. It started with an email from a friend, a short update on life and her family's recent move. "When you come back to Canada, you should really move to this part of the city. It's so great!" Next thing I knew, my fingers were typing in the address realtor.ca and soon I was looking at detailed interior pictures of a house in my old town. "Oh, it's perfect...." Open-concept main floor, sweet hardwood floors. A decent backyard with a park a stone's throw away. Room to build on a sunroom or garage. Heck, both. A tree-lined street begging for relaxed strolls, the words, "cottage-inspired." Oh, look, it's so cozy. There was thick, bold green grass covering the front yard, and grey, yes, grey clouds in the sky. I could actually smell autumn in the air, feel the crispness in my lungs, and then...

I looked up.

And I was standing in a classroom. Young men in starchy white thobes were shuffling in. The sun was bright, the day was beige. And there were palm trees outside. Where the heck did the palm trees come from?

It happened so fast. I literally had to shake my head. But strangely, even as my vision shifted, and I took in what was before me, all the little sensations remained. I felt fall that whole day. I kept expecting crunchy leaves, and I had to continually remind myself that the cold of my nose was due to the damn A/C and not the chilled November air.

Qatar and I have come to an understanding. Every weekday morning, as I hook up my nano in the truck, we both know that it is not so much my love of music or podcasts that causes me to do so. No, it is the need I have to have something to focus all my attention on so that I can ignore the cars honking all around me, the people making five lanes where there should be three, the folks using slip roads and side shoulders as get-ahead-and-cut-everyone-else-off lanes.

Qatar understands that my renewed interest in meditation and red wine -and not necessarily in that order- are borne not so much out of a desire for inner peace or tipsy nights as they are out of a simple need for survival. For sanity. There are simply too many contradictions in this fine country for a thinking person to even begin to deal with or comprehend. And this blog is not the space to begin. This very. public. blog.

Will I end up a Buddhist monk ... or a rambling drunkard? We shall see. Something tells me the two don't mix.

But I think I'll be avoiding realtor.ca for a little while...

6 comments:

James said...

...or you could just learn how to make these...

realtor.ca is really dangerous, I agree. My rule is never look until you are ready to move. 'Cause if you look, you are bound to find something that you think is the dream house (things always look better online), and you can't go look at it because you're not ready, and you end up "regretting" not buying that house when you saw it the first time...

Rose and I have been guilty of this exact thing lately. But we will be ready sooner than you...

Kathy Epp said...

James... Good one! But seriously... Did you think of that on your own or did you just type 'Buddhist' and 'drunkard' into Google?!

Laura said...

Having a rambling drunkard as a friend would be more entertaining.... just sayin '!
And I'd be right there with you.

Erika said...

oh dear, dangerous, FOR SURE!! by 'my town' you mean niagara on the lake or virgil? maybe i should check out realtor.ca:-)

Sarah! said...

I will end up a hermit. But you will always be more than welcome to visit me :).

Rose said...

That was SO EFFECTIVE. I was TOTALLY in the fall scene, and then harshly snapped out of it! Ouch. Amazing.